Sunday, September 6, 2009

A gem in the jewelry community dies ~ Christie Romero

Christie Romero was one of the greatest jewelry  historians of the 21st century.   Sadly she passed away Saturday September 5th.
 
I am actually full of grief because she represented someone who I've always aspired to in terms of achieving her quality of work and research.  I have kept Christie's book to the right of my computer for years as a reminder of what can be done and should be done in terms of researching jewelry with regard to my own research on Napier.  The writing of my own book has been greatly influenced by her. 

Christie Romero's lecture was the first lecture that I ever attended back in 1999 I believe.  Her passion and respect for the history of jewelry was beyond compare.   There are very few authors, collectors or jewelry historians that haven't been affect by her work.  We have all been beneficiaries.   Center For Jewelry Studies Christie Romero

I learned of Christie Romero's illness about two weeks ago and I was surprise to not have heard about it earlier.   There's a part of me that now regrets not sharing with her just a note to tell her how much she influenced my own respect and awe of jewelry. 

To Christie... Thank you for all your years of dedication directed towards the Center for Jewelry Studies, your book and your contribution to so many collectors.   You planted the seed of knowledge, that for me,  has fostered years of joy and research in the realm of jewelry history.    You have influenced so  many people  and inspired them to inquire beyond the beauty of a piece but to its origin, its nature, it affect on society.    Our community has forever been blessed by your presence, your dedication, your spirit.  There are few people that come into this world who's work transcends beyond their lifetime... You are one of those rare gems.

In lieu of flowers, her  husband requests that donations be made to Pancreatic Cancer Action Network http://pancan.org/
 

My condolences to her husband, family and jewelry community.   

Forever grateful,

Melinda Lewis
http://thejewelrystylist.com/

No comments: